Thursday 7 May 2009

What you say defines you?

I recently injured my leg which meant that I suddenly had severe limitations imposed on my movement and more importantly independence. Seems, for some reason, word got around more than I would have liked but what really intrigued me was how the comments people made to me spoke so much about their very own essence. I am not talking about humorous comments regarding how ended up as I did but rather the views on how I should spend this 'extra time' I had suddenly acquired that required effort to fill as I was laid up and lessons I should be learning. In some I discovered new depths, others what they sought in their life and from others what was lacking. It then set me thinking, what advice do I give to others and what is it saying about me...actually, aren't we being defined every time that they speak. So I ask, although we are ourselves and we want to be naturally the way we are, what impression are we giving every time we open our mouths and what perceptions are being drawn up about us? Are we revealing our essence or what it is we are lacking? And most of all - do we practice what we preach?

2 comments:

corner point said...

Gonna have to think about that..........

Floating Reflections said...

Ok CP, you do that but then don't forget to get back to me with the conclusions :)